Banner
Banner

Seven bidders for $412m Philippines’ Mactan-Cebu project

PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kevin Rozario
Wednesday, 29 May 2013 14:41

The government of the Philippines will select the winning bid to develop and upgrade the country’s second busiest airport, Mactan-Cebu International (MCIA), in late August, from a qualifying group of seven.

 

Earlier this month, the Department of Transportation and Communications said that all seven interested parties had made it through the pre-selection stage which qualifies them to bid for the PHP 17,500m ($412m) venture.

 

The MCIA project will modernise the gateway (pictured right [credit-Magalhães]) which is operating over its capacity, with 6.7m pax passing through in 2012 in infrastructure designed for 4.5m.

 

The airport, located in central Visayas region of the Philippines, will see the construction of a new, world-class international passenger terminal building with a capacity for 8m pax and retail facilities to match. The existing terminal building will also be renovated.

 

A FIRST FOR AIRPORT PPP

This is first time an airport project has been bid out under President Benigno Aquino III’s public-private partnership (PPP) programme.

 

The bidders for MCIA’s Passenger Terminal Building are: AAA Airport Partners (led by the Ayala and Aboitiz groups and Houston airport operator ADC&HAS); Filinvest-CAI (a consortium of the Gotianun family and Singapore Changi Airport); First Philippine Airports (the Lopez Group and New Zealand’s Infratil Asia Limited airport operator); GMR Infrastructure and Megawide Consortium; MPIC-JGS Airport Consortium (the Pangilinan and Gokongwei companies plus France’s Aeroports de Lyon); SM-led Premier Airport Group, which includes Zurich Airport; and the San Miguel-Incheon Airport Consortium.

 

“This is a good number for ensuring optimal competition during the bid itself,” says Department of Transportation and Communications spokesperson, Migs Sagcal.

 

Under an updated timeline for the process, the qualified consortia now have until 28 August to submit their bid proposals. “We are keen to find out which group will make the most advantageous offer to the government. As we have said before, the more cooperation we have from the bidders, the sooner the public will enjoy the benefits,” adds Sagcal.

Related Articles

  • Friday cut-off for Tirana tender EOIs - 23/04/14
    • airport
    • latest news
    • passenger
    • regional news
    • retail
  • ADAC under pressure to open on time - 23/04/14
    • airport
    • building
    • latest news
    • passenger
    • regional news
    • retail
    • terminal
  • Boots and Links of London are latest additons to London City Airport - 23/04/14
    • airport
    • latest news
    • passenger
    • regional news
    • retail
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner