The votes have been cast, the feedback has been analysed and the finalists for this year’s consumer-voted Global Travel Retail Awards are set to be revealed during the second week of August.
The products and airports that have risen through the ranks will be announced daily from Monday 8 August – when tickets for the awards ceremony go on sale – through to Friday 12 August on trbusiness.com, so be sure to subscribe to story notifications by pressing the bell button at the bottom left of our homepage.
The Travel Retail Awards, now in its fifth year, is the first and only consumer-voted multi-category awards programme dedicated to the travel retail industry.
Leading products and airports are competing for a coveted trophy in 20 categories this year.
The winners will be announced on Monday 3 October at a glamorous seated dinner ceremony at Hotel Barrière Le Majestic Cannes, during the TFWA World Exhibition.
A new feature for 2022 is the ‘Highly Recommended’ accolade, which will be awarded to finalists that consumers ranked within the upper benchmark of the judging process.
There will also be an overall awards winner to be revealed on the night within both the product and airport categories.
“The Travel Retail Awards are a barometer of what shoppers are currently seeking in the channel, providing brands and airports with vital insights on tailoring their offer based on rich consumer feedback,” said Nigel Hardy, Joint Owner and Managing Director of TRBusiness.
The awards ceremony in Cannes will also feature an after party to mark the 25th anniversary of TRBusiness, which co-organises the awards in partnership with m1nd-set.
“This year’s awards ceremony is not to be missed,” said Hardy. “It marks the first time we are hosting the occasion in Cannes and we are looking forward to welcoming the industry to network with peers, toast the winners and celebrate 25 years of TRBusiness.”
Early bird tickets, available until 12 September 2022 are £185 per person +VAT (20%) and £1,665 +VAT (20%) for a table of 10.
Thereafter, tickets are available at £250 per person +VAT (20%) and £2,250 +VAT (20%) for a table of 10.
How The Travel Retail Awards are judged
Each nomination for The Travel Retail Awards, which opened for entries in March 2022, has been judged by a panel of 2,000 consumers who have travelled internationally in the past six months.
The consumers are sourced from the m1nd-set’s unique and qualified database of several thousand international travelling consumers. Interviews are conducted on location at airports around the globe.
The quantitative scores from the consumer panel account for 80% of the score for each nomination, while the remaining 20% of the score is assessed from the qualitative judging process, which involves a panel of international travelling bloggers and vloggers; leading influencers in travel and consumer goods.
They have the benefit of being able to touch, feel, taste, smell and handle the products as part of the judging process.
“All those who enter the awards receive a detailed consumer feedback report from m1nd-set, which highlights the key strengths and weaknesses from the consumer’s perspective,” said Peter Mohn, Owner & CEO of m1nd-set.
“The reports also provide feedback by segment, including regional, gender, age-group and trip purpose segments.”
The finalists are being announced as follows (timings in UTC+1):
Monday 8 August
- Best Fragrance Product
- Best Make-up Product
- Best Skincare, Haircare, Bath and Body Product
- Best Fashion & Accessories Product (including Luggage & Leather Goods)
- Best Sunglasses/Eyewear Product
- Best Watches & Jewellery Product
Tuesday 9 August
- Best Electronics Product
- Best Travel Accessory
- Best Children’s Product
- Best Confectionery and Fine Foods Product
- Best Beer and Wines Product
- Best Spirits Product
Wednesday 10 August
- Best Airport for Retail Environment
- Best Airport for Customer Service
- Best Digital and Social Media Offer
- Best Airport For ‘Sense of Place’
- Best Airport Food & Beverage Offer
Thursday 11 August
- Best Sustainable Supplier
Friday 12 August
- Best Sustainable Airport, Airline, Cruise & Rail Retail
All entrants of the 2022 global Travel Retail Awards are automatically enrolled into the Asia Pacific Travel Retail Awards, the ceremony for which will follow in 2023.
To find out more, visit the dedicated website travelretailawards.com.